[Debian-olpc-devel] packaging for Sugar

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jul 27 21:12:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 03:49:56PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 20:32 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>> My plan is to first get my various CDBS customizations, currently
>> stored in debian/cdbs of each package, incorporated into main CDBS.
>>
>> Then I will look into writing debhelper plugins to do similar tasks,
>> ideally making CDBS irrelevant.
>>
>> In other words, I do not expect to drop CDBS in the near future.
>>

>Do you have a time frame in mind for pushing your changes into the main
>CDBS?

I can't say for sure - it might be a few months, but can easily take
longer: Apart from polishing the code itself to verify that it works in
general (not only the way I use them myself) which is almost finished, I
need also to document them, and then I need to convince my
co-maintainers of the CDBS package that they are relevant for CDBS.

Is such vague and longish timeframe a problem for you?

I (co-)maintain 70+ packages, all of them using some of my unofficial
CDBS extensions.  A recent bug in an extensions (copyright-check.mk)
made me aware that it takes a _lot_ of tedious time to update each and
every package.  So if it takes too long (for myself or for you) then
there is also the alternative to make a cdbs-hacks package containing
all of my extensions as-is, without documentation or approval of others.

So tell me your needs - I might be able to help. :-)

>I am concerned about the number of lines in the .diff.  As packages
>flow downstream they tend to grow like snowballs;( The effort required
>to merge and sync packages from upstream growth with the square of the
>number of lines.

Ah, I never thought of it that way.  Thanks for pointing it out :-)

P.S.

Please don't cc me personally - I am subscribed to the list, and cc's
confuse my email filters :-P

- --