[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar debian stuff

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Nov 29 18:01:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:19:38PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:48:39 +0100
>Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

[uncommented quotes, including proposals to work together, snipped]

>> That said, I am not "against" Ubuntu or DebXO. I have not yet looked
>> closely at DebXO, and depending on its design choices I might find
>> interesting to devote time directly on it. But not (currently, at
>> least) in favor of working directly on Debian, and there is still
>> some pending work there.
>
>I'm not attempting to convince you to fork the packages for DebXO;
>that goes against what I'm trying to do with it.  You'll note that
>DebXO uses all stock Debian (Lenny) packages with the exception of
>4 packages which are necessary (for now) to be forked (kernel,
>initramfs, xorg-video-geode, and ofw-config).   Once Lenny releases,
>the plan is to use backports.org to pull newer packages into DebXO.
>
>Since you're not planning on doing updates on current Lenny, I'll just
>have to wait for testing to open up again and then start uploading
>things to the bpo repository.

Feel free to just wait, if you have no interest and/or time to invest in
helping out with the actual packaging.

>> I would love for you to get involved in the shared packaging efforts
>> at Alioth: Currently I do most of the work there, but Alioth is now
>> on the radar of the Ubuntu Sugar developers and we are attempting to
>> tune into each other at the moment. Would be great if you DebXO
>> people (are you more that one?) could join as well, either just
>> participate on the mailinglist, but preferrably do your packaging in
>> the Gits I have created there.
>>

>There are more than one; we're on #debxo @ OFTC.  I believe Holger has
>already been working on Debian Sugar stuff.

Feel free to rely on the efforts of Holger or others :-)

>> And have I perhaps somehow misunderstood your request? What more
>> specifically did you have in mind that in your opinion made more
>> sense to do in the DebXO camp directly than shared across distros at
>> Alioth?
>
>I'm not asking for custom Sugar packages for DebXO; I'm asking for
>another person's help in testing the DebXO Sugar desktop, ensuring
>that the package list is correct
>( http://lunge.mit.edu/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xodist;a=blob;f=sugar.packages;h=4fe06e0051cc8715efe7d68d9240f0ed91cd943e;hb=HEAD ),
>making sure everything is configured properly by default, etc.  Of
>course, any additional DebXO work is appreciated.

As soon as all of the core Sugar packages are packaged, a metapackage
will be packaged containing dependencies for all needed packaged (not
only recommendations as is the case for each of the actual packages).

I see no reason to fork that work for any specific derivative either.

It seems to me that you are asking for me to engage in work specific to
DebXO. I see no benefit for using my time there compared to using my
time on packaging for Debian - reusable for any and all derivative as
well.

>> P.S.
>>
>> Please follow-up to the Alioth list rather than privately:
>> debian-olpc-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
>It is generally poor form to CC a mailing list quoting a private email
>unless you've asked if it's okay.

Yeah. Especially if reveiling any details needing discretion. Of which I
found none in this concrete case.

Poor form to post privately about public activities too. Especially if
your post contains nothing needing discretion.

I actively avoid keeping/creating secrets. My alternatives would thus be
to either a) request you to repost somewhere public or b) not respond at
all. I shall do my best only to use those options for you in the future.

- --