[Debian-olpc-devel] [holger at layer-acht.org:Re: Revert standards version to 3.7.3 (README.sourceneededto comply with 3.8.0).]

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Feb 2 00:22:32 UTC 2009

Holger Levsen wrote:
>On Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> >README.source is a "should", not a "must".
>> >
>> >And I really like it, so I will not forget this. In the meanwhile I
>> >prefered a quiet lintian.
>>
>> Lintian is less important than policy.
>
>True.
>
>> Please do not quiet down lintian except when it is wrong.
>
>I'm also with you here :-) But I didnt quiet lintian,

You certainly did quiet lintian (by bumping policy version).

If not then why did you write above that you "prefered a quiet lintian"?

>I stated that the package complies to policy 3.8.0 - which is true, as
>README.source is a should :)

According to the introduction of Debian Policy, it is a bug not to obey
a "should". Not an RC bug (as "must" and "reuqired"), but still a bug.

Main purpose of lintian is to help reveal bugs. It is wrong to suppress
true lintian discoveries, no matter how severe.

>> It is not wrong for lintian to warn about the package only following
>> an old version of Debian Policy. It is a nice reminder to us that we
>> should adjust the packaging to match newer releases of Debian Policy.
>
>And this is where I start to agree, because of the words "remind us" -
>even though _I_ will remember to introduce a README.source without the
>help of lintian, sugar is maintained in a team and thus we should use
>agreed common practices. And as having lintian complain about the old
>policy version is just a totally cosmectic issue, I now agree that it's
>helpful to keep this reminder.

It is _not_ a totally cosmetic issue.

Even when not working in teams, lintian reports are useful to remind
about some of the pending issues with packages.

>P.S.: Oh btw, regards from Copenhagen! :-D It's my stopover on my way
>back from the Edu meeting in Trondheim. How far do you live from the
>airport by public transport? (For next time...)

1.5-2 hours by train (leaving once per hour).

As always, you - and anyone else! - is very welcome! :-)

My geolocation (and other info) is here[1]:
http://www.foafer.org/?file=http://dr.jones.dk/foaf.rdf

  - Jonas

[1] Actually, the info is at http://dr.jones.dk/foaf.rdf - more info on
FOAF is here: http://wiki.jones.dk/WebFoaf