[Debian-olpc-devel] How _should_ we import new changes into git?

Luke Faraone luke.faraone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:04:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Software known not to be release
> quality should instead be packaged for "experimental" branch.
>
> ...which means we (at the source level at least) would need to support
> multiple branches, which I do not feel ready to do yet.

Couldn't we simply clone the current "stable" tree and import later releases
into that, no extra software changes needed?

> I still feel that we should not currently package unstable upstream
> releases.  Feel free to keep throwing arguments for the opposite at me

Ubuntu and Debian are the two most popular (GNU/)Linux distributions*. Many
people who want to contribute to Sugar will be using them, and some testers
will not have the technical knowledge to compile the latest releases from
source and set it up for their platform. Also, by importing new versions
early into experimental, we're able to get good feedback about whether any
changes in the new versions will change the way we have to package them.

* for the sake of argument, YMMV, IANAL, SRMA

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc