[Debian-olpc-devel] How _should_ we import new changes into git?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 14 22:45:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:04:53PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> Software known not to be release
>> quality should instead be packaged for "experimental" branch.
>>
>> ...which means we (at the source level at least) would need to
>> support multiple branches, which I do not feel ready to do yet.
>

>Couldn't we simply clone the current "stable" tree and import later
>releases into that, no extra software changes needed?

Current source handling is already too complex: Noone except me is
packaging!

Please prove me wrong by packaging some activities. ;-)

>> I still feel that we should not currently package unstable upstream
>> releases.  Feel free to keep throwing arguments for the opposite at
>> me
>>

>Ubuntu and Debian are the two most popular (GNU/)Linux distributions*.
>Many people who want to contribute to Sugar will be using them, and
>some testers will not have the technical knowledge to compile the
>latest releases from source and set it up for their platform. Also, by
>importing new versions early into experimental, we're able to get good
>feedback about whether any changes in the new versions will change the
>way we have to package them.

If I did not make that clear already: I really do want to maintain
multiple concurrent branches, both stable and unstable.

What I do not want is to complicate our maintainance structures even
further. Instead of _only_ doing additional branches (which complicates
things that are already not clear) I want to switch to topgit, which
effectively _both_ simplifies _and_ deals with multiple branches in same
go.

And I am working on it.

I believe it is more important to have a full core set of Sugar packages
that actually works (even if not the very newest), than multiple
half-baked sets of packages that does not work fully.

Certainly it is best to have multiple fully working full sets of Sugar
packages. But we are not there yet!

  - Jonas

- --