[Debian-olpc-devel] Backtraces while using sugar(-emulator)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-debian-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Thu Jan 15 14:07:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09:22PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> If you as user of Debian feel that our choice of version to maintain
> is too old or too new, then you are free to mix your Debian install
> with whatever alternate package you may find (or perhaps build your
> own), or abandon Debian and use some other distro better fitting your
> needs.
I'm already doing all of those (except the last part - all new installs
are Debian again now). Local installations are managed with GNU stow.
Couldn't get APT version pinning to do what I want in all cases, though.
And backporting a package is a PITA (as mentioned in another mail).

> All in all, yes, there is no silver bullet:
Well, actually there cannot be: We all want software that
a) is bugfree
b) has the latest features (or at least those we care about)
c) behaves as we expect it to - which mostly means like the first
version of it we used

That's pretty much impossible. :)

> Sorry if I've missed some info on that elsewhere: What is it you are
> doing, more generally?
Regarding Sugar: Long term goal is providing an easy-to-use computer
system to "ordinary" users. Short term goal is doing this for two or
three older people in my family. The first installation will mostly need
Chat and a shared Halma (chinese checkers) activity.
As it's for older users, stability (including UI design) is a top
priority, so using Debian-provided packages would be a natural choice.
If it's necessary, I can fork those and apply changes locally, but
judging from your current reactions and mails, there's probably no need
for it.

> It seems from this last post that you work across many different
> distros, but at the other hand that you seem new to dealing with the
> very different "tempers" of us distro maintainers.
I've used several distros (the order was roughly Slackware -> Debian ->
Gentoo -> Ubuntu -> Debian) myself and have been helping to administer
machines running any of those (and Red Hat without RHUN as well -
fortunately not anymore). My experiences with both distro and upstream
maintainers are spread over all those years (started with Linux 2.0 in
1996), in addition to being upstream myself as well.
What's new is that I'm trying to be a bit more diplomatic and checking
out the waters before entering them. :)

> Please do not cc me privately.
Sorry, that wasn't intentionally. I just group-reply in mutt, which will
usually do The Right Thing - at least if there's no Reply-To munging in
place and the OP sets Mail-Followup-To correctly.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/