[Debian-olpc-devel] Backtraces while using sugar(-emulator)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jan 15 15:07:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 03:07:46PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:09:22PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Sorry if I've missed some info on that elsewhere: What is it you are
>> doing, more generally?
> Regarding Sugar: Long term goal is providing an easy-to-use computer
> system to "ordinary" users. Short term goal is doing this for two or
> three older people in my family. The first installation will mostly
> need Chat and a shared Halma (chinese checkers) activity.
> As it's for older users, stability (including UI design) is a top
> priority, so using Debian-provided packages would be a natural choice.
> If it's necessary, I can fork those and apply changes locally, but
> judging from your current reactions and mails, there's probably no
> need for it.

So you base off of (recent snapshot of) Debian Lenny?

If you succeeded getting Sugar working on Etch I am _very_ interested in
the kinds of tweaks you applied.

You can mix the Sugar packages in Debian Lenny/Sid with activities
packaged as .xo packages. Not all .xo packages will work on all machines
(some are not architecture independent) but a great deal of them should
work, especially when running on i386 hardware.

>> It seems from this last post that you work across many different
>> distros, but at the other hand that you seem new to dealing with the
>> very different "tempers" of us distro maintainers.
> I've used several distros (the order was roughly Slackware -> Debian
> -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu -> Debian) myself and have been helping to
> administer machines running any of those (and Red Hat without RHUN as
> well - fortunately not anymore). My experiences with both distro and
> upstream maintainers are spread over all those years (started with
> Linux 2.0 in 1996), in addition to being upstream myself as well.
> What's new is that I'm trying to be a bit more diplomatic and checking
> out the waters before entering them. :)

Sounds familiar :-)

>> Please do not cc me privately.
> Sorry, that wasn't intentionally. I just group-reply in mutt, which
> will usually do The Right Thing - at least if there's no Reply-To
> munging in place and the OP sets Mail-Followup-To correctly.

Mutt group-reply does "reply to all". On Debian mailinglists please do
"reply to list" (shift+L in mutt) instead, except if someone explicitly
request a copy.

  - Jonas

- --