[Debian-olpc-devel] Running Debian on an XO

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 5 08:12:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:13:26PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:23:39PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> So I expect that it is easy to reproduce the problem by simply being
>> up-to-date before trying.
>
>Thanks.  I may get time to try to reproduce the problem, but if I can
>confirm it then I'll probably remove the "olpc-update debian" build and
>the Wiki page if nobody will step up to maintain it.  I don't like the
>idea of people stumbling on things that are now broken.

Makes sense.

>> >DebXO has replaced the "olpc-update debian" method.
>> >http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO
>>
>> How do you mean "replaced"?
>
>There are active maintainers.

I think I understand you now.  I misunderstood as "olpc-update debian"
will now install DebXO instead of Debian.

>> DebXO is not Debian, so it does not make sense to me if OLPC intends
>> to have the "olpc-update debian" command install DebXO instead of
>> plain Debian.
>
>OLPC has no plans to provide Debian on XO that I'm aware of.
>
>I've not heard whether Debian plans to provide Debian on XO.

I believe that Debian will only officially support hardware that is
generally available to the public.  I suspect that since G1G1 has been
dropped for the future, it is highly unlikely that there will be
official support in Debian for XOs. :-(

>> I would like to understand better the actual tweaks needed, so that
>> I can make a qualified choice on whether to be lazy and run DebXO or
>> instead apply stuff manually on top of a plain Debian to be able to
>> inspect each part myself more closely.
>
>DebXO contains several changes to compensate for change to the XO
>firmware since "olpc-update debian" was created.

You are probably referring to the dcon unfreeze change.

I thought that perhaps you had more insight than that.  Very well, I
will just continue to track the git of DebXO then, as that seems to be
the best source of information at the moment.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas