[Debian-olpc-devel] Running Debian on an XO

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Nov 5 21:42:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:12:08AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:13:26PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:23:39PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >>DebXO is not Debian, so it does not make sense to me if OLPC intends
> >>to have the "olpc-update debian" command install DebXO instead of
> >>plain Debian.
> >
> >OLPC has no plans to provide Debian on XO that I'm aware of.
> >
> >I've not heard whether Debian plans to provide Debian on XO.
>
> I believe that Debian will only officially support hardware that is
> generally available to the public.  I suspect that since G1G1 has
> been dropped for the future, it is highly unlikely that there will
> be official support in Debian for XOs. :-(

That's up to Debian.  However, the units are available by private sale
from previous owners, and while there isn't an obvious method at the
moment for individual sale of new units, if someone wants to buy a large
quantity they are "generally available".  I'm not speaking for OLPC in
this, only repeating what I've heard publically.

I don't believe Debian should provide official support.  I do think
Ubuntu should.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/