[Debian-olpc-devel] 0.84/0.86 dependencies on Lenny (was: Re: lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-debian-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Fri Nov 6 17:19:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 05:39:41PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>> IIRC that was the reason I stopped trying to run sugar-jhbuild in
>> lenny... :-/
> well, in principle sugar-jhbuild, jhconvert or whatever other
> packaging  method should work too, as long as the tedious work of
> digging out all  the dependencies is done properly.
According to a commit log entry the problem was that we needed a more
recent version of gtk+ (i.e. one which included gio) and couldn't get it
to build and install inside sugar-jhbuild (don't remember the exact
problem).
Since you're updating the distro package instead, it might actually work
in the end (but with the risk of breaking non-Sugar packages that use
gtk+).

> Currently I do that manually: read all(!) code looking for imports and
>    execution of non-python code.
Though there's no complete list of dependencies for each single package,
you can
a) check the sugar-jhbuild dependency lists [1]
b) check the Release Notes for new/updated dependencies [2]

> If anyone knows about a tool to extract all "import" statements in
> Python code, I would much appreciate it!
find -name "*.py" |xargs grep -h import |sort -u
;)

The "magic" stuff should usually be safe to ignore as it's for loading
plugins, not external dependencies (AFAICT at least).

[1]
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-jhbuild/repos/mainline/trees/master/config/sysdeps
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.84/Notes#What_is_new_for_packagers
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Notes#What.27s_new_for_packagers