[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Nov 7 09:52:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:51:02PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:21:39PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>Oh well - needs backport of newer pygtk and pygtksourceview2.
>>
>>Hang on...
>Holding my breath. :)

Takes a while (and went to bed too - time is now 10:33am in Denmark).

This backporting process is quite fruitful in revealing bugs in
GTK+-related Debian packaging. :-/

Status right now is that pygtk fails to build due to python-gobject
backport being completely broken: it recently switched install path but
forgot to tighten build-dependency on the helper package python-support
to versions supporting that new path, leading to silently broken
packages when backporting ( http://bugs.debian.org/554902 ).

>>>Thanks for continuing were I left off (when trying to get Sugar
>>>0.84+     to run on Lenny)!
>>My mind is failing me - when was that
>According to git on Thu Mar 12 13:46:28 2009 +0100.
>
>>- or did I miss it?
>Not sure if I wrote about it in some mail at all - it was
>sugar-jhbuild only anyway (not native Debian packages).

Oh, it was "just" jhbuild. I don't track that work too closely:
Generally I believe in encapsulating each build process in packages
rather than growing a big unique compilation pile of all involved
libraries. I am sure that it has its benefits (in addition to some
glaring pitfalls) but leave it to Gentoo to deal with that.

>>Please do test the sugar-0.84 packages at debian.jones.dk too, they
>>should be up-to-ate too now.
>Same result as for 0.86 (installs fine, fails on gio import).

*sigh*

This means Sugarlabs chose as early as the 0.84 cycle to rely on funky
new features causing headaches for existing distros (and no, I am not
talking about "several years old releases" as as Debian can be at its
worst: Lenny is not _that_ old yet). :-(

So there is no fallback of just getting 0.84 to work - giving up on
backporting GIO for Lenny means giving up on both branches currently
supported for future Debian development :-/

GIO backport shall succeed!!

  - Jonas