[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Nov 8 10:46:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 10:52, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:51:02PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:21:39PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>>> Oh well - needs backport of newer pygtk and pygtksourceview2.
>>>
>>> Hang on...
>>
>> Holding my breath. :)
>
> Takes a while (and went to bed too - time is now 10:33am in Denmark).
>
> This backporting process is quite fruitful in revealing bugs in GTK+-related
> Debian packaging. :-/
>
> Status right now is that pygtk fails to build due to python-gobject backport
> being completely broken: it recently switched install path but forgot to
> tighten build-dependency on the helper package python-support to versions
> supporting that new path, leading to silently broken packages when
> backporting ( http://bugs.debian.org/554902 ).

>>> My mind is failing me - when was that
>>
>> According to git on Thu Mar 12 13:46:28 2009 +0100.
>>
>>> - or did I miss it?
>>
>> Not sure if I wrote about it in some mail at all - it was sugar-jhbuild
>> only anyway (not native Debian packages).
>
> Oh, it was "just" jhbuild. I don't track that work too closely: Generally I
> believe in encapsulating each build process in packages rather than growing
> a big unique compilation pile of all involved libraries. I am sure that it
> has its benefits (in addition to some glaring pitfalls) but leave it to
> Gentoo to deal with that.
>

>>> Please do test the sugar-0.84 packages at debian.jones.dk too, they
>>> should be up-to-ate too now.
>>
>> Same result as for 0.86 (installs fine, fails on gio import).
>
> *sigh*
>
> This means Sugarlabs chose as early as the 0.84 cycle to rely on funky new
> features causing headaches for existing distros (and no, I am not talking
> about "several years old releases" as as Debian can be at its worst: Lenny
> is not _that_ old yet). :-(

The GNOME platform is converging quickly to our needs, staying with
old releases of the platform components means we not being able to do
more with less resources.

But I do realize it's very important for us to stick to an old and
stable platform, it's a hard decision to make.

Regards,

Tomeu

> So there is no fallback of just getting 0.84 to work - giving up on
> backporting GIO for Lenny means giving up on both branches currently
> supported for future Debian development :-/
>

> GIO backport shall succeed!!
>

>  - Jonas
>
> --
> * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
> * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Farning