[Debian-olpc-devel] RFP: python-xklavier -- Python bindings for libxklavier

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Apr 16 15:51:17 UTC 2010

[sending only to list: dropping personal cc's]

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 09:55:37AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:59, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Will you be using CDBS too and maintain it at the OLPC Alioth team?
>

>Yes, the repository is visible at
>http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/python-xklavier.git;a=summary

Great!

Some comments:

You should probably include python-autotools.mk (not autotools.mk). As
is declaring DEB_PYTHON_SYSTEM has no affect, and quite likely the
binary package do not follow Python Policy properly.

debian/vars.mk seems unused noise. else it must be documented in
debian/copyright.

xklavier/Makefile.in needs to have ./ prepended in line 25 of
debian/copyright (so that it works with "find -path").  Or more
elegantly it can simply be removed, as "Makefile.in" covers all files by
that name recursively (which conversely means you should be cautious to
not accidentally covver too many files - prepend ./ if in uncertain).

Also, I recommend to make use of CDBS build-dependency auto-resolving:

  1. copy debian/control to debian/control.in
  2. edit debian/control.in to build-depend on @cdbs@ (not cdbs)
  3. Auto-resolve:
     DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 fakeroot debian/rules clean
  4. Check resulting debian/control, remove excess explicit
     build-dependencies (e.g. debhelper), and repeat step 3.

Concretely, above tightens debhelper build-dependency slightly (due to
debhelper changelog comment, if I recall correctly) and adds
build-dependency on autotools-dev (to keep config.guess and config.sub
up-to-date easing porter work).

I also recommend to enable copyright-check to track new or changed
licensing or copyrights:

  1. include CDBS rule utils.mk
  2. touch debian/copyright_hints
  3. Generate and preserve new hints:
     DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 debian/rules pre-build
     mv debian/copyright_newhints debian/copyright_hints
  4. check that all files, copyrights and licenses in hints file match
     those manually declared in copyright file (you may want to order the
     contents of the copyright file similar to the hints file to ease
     future updates with simple diff).

That was all I could find - nothing grave :-D

Kind regards,

  - Jonas