[Debian-olpc-devel] Packaging eLearning XHTML editor (eXe) for debian

David Farning dfarning at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 4 20:18:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Kandarp Kaushik <kandarp at seeta.in> wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to package eXe ( http://exelearning.org/wiki ) for debian.
>>
>> eXe uses subversion for as the concurrency revision control system. More
>> information at: http://exelearning.org/wiki/SourceControl
>>
>> It will help if someone could provide some pointers on how eXe should be
>> packaged.
>
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:44:38PM +0530, Manusheel Gupta wrote:
>>
>> I think your question is on packaging, where we are using a different
>> concurrency version control system, other than git. I think the steps should
>> remain the same. Community members, please confirm if there is a difference?
>
> In our Sugar packaging we do something extraordinary: in addition to
> tracking upstream tarball releases and our packaging in git, we also track
> upstream development.
>
> THIS IS UNSUSUAL.  It is not the normal packaging style in Debian, and
> really it has no real benefit for Debian - it only has a potential benefit
> for us in that we can easier locate when and where each upstream change
> occured - i.e. correlate not only with release summaries but with upstream
> commit messages as well, which might contain additional valuable info for
> our packaging efforts.
>
> In other words, it is irrelevant what VCS upstream uses: ignore that an
> package their released tarballs.
>
> And beware: you cannot directly apply the working style of Sugar packaging
> to packaging other kinds of Debian packages.  Most likely you need
> additional knowledge, and at least need to use other CDBS snippets (or even
> further changes if not using CDBS at all).

Thanks for the help.

> And specifically about eXe: I had a look at it some time ago, and it seemed
> abandoned upstream.  Think twice before packaging dead code: most likely it
> is more difficult to maintain because you will be the most knowledgable in
> it - there will be noone to pass on bugreports to that know better than
> yourself.  And often the code will slowly fall apart as surrounding
> compilers, libraries and toolkits gets updated.

Activity Central and partners will be supporting development on the
EXE Learning project.  It was a well respected, widely used, and
decently written application.  But it was funded by a university grant
when the grant dried up all of the developers moved onto different
projects:)

david