[Debian-olpc-devel] Packaging eLearning XHTML editor (eXe) for debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Aug 4 20:11:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 10:44:38PM +0530, Manusheel Gupta wrote:
>I think your question is on packaging, where we are using a different
>concurrency version control system, other than git. I think the steps
>should remain the same. Community members, please confirm if there is a
>difference?

In our Sugar packaging we do something extraordinary: in addition to
tracking upstream tarball releases and our packaging in git, we also
track upstream development.

THIS IS UNSUSUAL.  It is not the normal packaging style in Debian, and
really it has no real benefit for Debian - it only has a potential
benefit for us in that we can easier locate when and where each upstream
change occured - i.e. correlate not only with release summaries but with
upstream commit messages as well, which might contain additional
valuable info for our packaging efforts.

In other words, it is irrelevant what VCS upstream uses: ignore that an
package their released tarballs.

And beware: you cannot directly apply the working style of Sugar
packaging to packaging other kinds of Debian packages.  Most likely you
need additional knowledge, and at least need to use other CDBS snippets
(or even further changes if not using CDBS at all).

And specifically about eXe: I had a look at it some time ago, and it
seemed abandoned upstream.  Think twice before packaging dead code: most
likely it is more difficult to maintain because you will be the most
knowledgable in it - there will be noone to pass on bugreports to that
know better than yourself.  And often the code will slowly fall apart as
surrounding compilers, libraries and toolkits gets updated.

Good luck!

   - Jonas