[Debian-olpc-devel] List of tasks to be done (was: Re: maintaining squeak and friends)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jan 28 17:08:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:21:03PM +0100, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals wrote:
>2010/1/28 Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:
>> Have only looked briefly: Probably because the package name is
>> unflavored but in debian/rules you declare that ii as flavored for
>> 0.86.
>
>Oh OK; wasn't sure what that DEB_SUGAR_BRANCHES thing is about. I've
>commented it out and now the package works :).
>
>How can I know whether an activity requires some particular version of
>Sugar?

Here's what it says inside the python-sugar.mk snippet:

># Space-delimited list of supported branches, lowest listed first
># (comment out if all current branches are supported)
># NB! This variable must be declared *above* inclusion of this snippet
>#DEB_SUGAR_BRANCHES = 0.84 0.86

If that is not enlightening, then please help improve the wording.

Some activities target only a single Sugar environment (either only
latest&greatest Sugar or multiple concurrent development tracks
targeting one (or more) Sugar branches each), while others are coded to
adapt to multiple Sugar environments.

Check upstream release notes - they often hint about supported Sugar
branches.  But to te certain you really need to test against the actual
system that the code works - which you should anyway as part of your
packaging routines. :-)

>> Another issue I noted: You seem to either forgot to push the
>> pristine-tar branch or not enable --pristine-tar when injecting the
>> upstream tarball.
>
>I have an "upstream" branch from which git-buildpackage generated the
>.orig.tar.gz. What's the difference with using --pristine-tar?

pristine-tar is an additional branch containing binary chunks which,
when combined with the content of the upstream branch can reproduce a
compressed tarball which is binary identical to the origian - a
so-called "pristine" tarball.  Read the man page of pristine-tar for
more info.

Since you didn't enable that option from the start, it is a bit tricky
to add this branch.  I'll try to do it (if I notice that you haven't
done so already).

>> If you switch from simple local cdbs snippets to tracking a branch of
>> my tightened-but-still-shipped-as-local snippets then you get for
>> free a proper git-buildpackage setup.
>
>Done.

Good.  I'll have another look at it :-)

  - Jonas