[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar-etoys-activity not working as expected.

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Jul 28 18:18:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:23:34PM +0530, Ankur Khurana wrote:
>I packaged sugar-etoys-activity and it is not working as expected.Well
>when i run the activity under emulator , it shows a warning
>
>An error has occurred; you should probably just hit 'abandon'.  Sorry!

>Now, i have two questions, what will be a good starting point to start
>fixing it? and the other one is that does this have anything to do with
>the packaging ?

I do not have answers to any of your questions, but it seems to me that
the problem is tied to the execution of the actual underlying etoys
tool, not the thin shell wrapper that you package.

I therefore suggest to try run etoys directly.  And try run the activity
installed the Sugar way rather than through our packaging.

If both those tests work, then I would suggest to look closer at what
the thin shell wrapper actually does - it seems it hardcodes some paths
- which might be wrong in our packaged case, since some parts then are
below /usr instead of $HOME as is the case when installing the Sugar
way.

Also, I would suggest to work with upstream to get it working.  They are
supposed to both know their software well and interesting in getting it
to work in various environments incuding ours - just make sure to
describe clearly to them that you are not using the standard Sugar style
but installing below /usr .

Good luck!

  - Jonas