[Debian-olpc-devel] Adding additional uploaders + sugar-toolkit release

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 8 11:05:14 UTC 2010

Hi Luke (and others),

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 03:36:03PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>Would it be a faux pas for me to add myself as an uploader of
>sugar-toolkit and some other sugar collab-maint packages, as well as
>setting DMUA to yes?

I do not understand "faux pas", but feel free to add yourself as
uploader + tag as DMUA those packages that you actively intend to
concretely be involved in maintaining.  I should then upload once for
the DMUA to take effect and after that we can both upload those
packages.

I suggest to use same logic as the Debian Multimedia team: First
uploader is the main developer.  In other words: Please add yourself
last, or discuss with me first if you think it makes sense for you to
take the lead for some of the packages (which might be perfectly fine -
don't be shy).

>If I can do so, what's your policy on releases? Should we discuss them
>first in the mailing list, or can we just "release when we have
>substantial changes" (or a large number of lesser changes)?

I am used to working alone, which means personally I just release when I
find that it is time to do so - without asking.  On the other hand I
have felt it annoying when others that I work with release with some
changelog entries of mine not adjusted as I would have wanted (sometimes
git commit messages are phrased suboptimal for verbatim inclusion in
Debian changelog).

So yes, let's both try warn before releasing, but if we feel in a hurry
then releasing without prior "permission" from the other should not be
considered a deadly sin.

How's that for a policy? :-)

>On a related thread, could you upload the changes made in sugar-toolkit
>to unstable so I'll be able to upload the fix for the GDM 2.30 bug to
>the stable releases of Ubuntu? (Ubuntu does not usually allow SRUs
>without the problem being fixed in ubuntu+1)

I have difficulties compiling packages at the moment, due to my largest
disk partition on my laptop somewhat broken (power outage during a
partition resize).

Please ping me in a couple of days again, if I haven't done it already
by then.

  - Jonas