[Debian-olpc-devel] Adding additional uploaders + sugar-toolkit release

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Jun 9 16:26:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:43:00AM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> Okay. I mentioned sugar-toolkit in my original email, but I was
>>> really referring to sugar-0.88
>>
>> ...and I responded generally for all "packages that you actively
>> intend to concretely be involved in maintaining" within this team.
>>
>> ...and I mean not only you, but all team members.  Hope I make myself
>> clear :-)
>
>We are getting there.  I have asked the Seeta developers to download
>.88.1 from downloads.sugarlabs.org and take a shot at packaging it for
>Debian.  While not particularly experienced in either Debian or Ubuntu,
>they have some sharp developers who learn quickly.
>
>Activity Central has hired Luke as a summer intern to introduce them
>them to Debian and Ubuntu:)

Great!

Please don't be shy (if you guys are reading this): I find it better if
you "play" with the actual code and commit to the Git at Alioth, than
trying out privately and only commit the polished results.

A nice feature of a Version Control System is the ability to roll back
if things go haywire.  And this team has only few active developers
already (me and Luke) so there is very little chance that you disrupt
other work even if you make mistakes.

A nice feature of making mistakes in public (if noone is mean and laugh
at it, obviously!) is the aftermath: discussing how to do things better
(there are often more than one way, and even if I am pretty experienced
and stubborn with a specific approach, I am probably still abl to shed
some light on alternatives) and how to avoid stumbling - optional
routines, patterns and tools that can be woved together as a web to
catch common errors.

So come forward and let's play! :-)

  - Jonas