[Debian-olpc-devel] Adding additional uploaders + sugar-toolkit release

David Farning dfarning at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 9 14:43:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:47:54AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:

>>> I do not understand "faux pas",
>>
>> A "misstep" in French, it means something that is against the custom.
>
> Ah, makes sense.
>
> I guess there are no one "custom" with Debian, so asking one time too many
> is better than one too few :-)
>
> ...only way I can imagine that general principle working badly is if the
> questions seem to be sloppy - i.e. if it seems you ask to avoid thinking for
> yourself.  And it is not my experience that you have this flaw, so fire away
> all questions you may have :-D
>

>> Some individuals have disliked it when I have set DMUA on packages I
>> submit for sponsoring etc, so I thought it was best to be ask first.
>
> I sure appreciate that you asked.  Indeed I (like other developers, I can
> easily imagine) would find it rude if you handed me a package and requested
> me to release it officially in Debian, and the package had DMUA set without
> either a) you had asked me ahead if that was ok with me to do or b) you at
> least explicitly made me aware of it when handing me the package.
>
> I see it as comparable to writing a contract and then include tricky
> sections written with tiny letters: DMUA is passing trust, which should be
> treated seriously.
>

>>> but feel free to add yourself as uploader + tag as DMUA those packages
>>> that you actively intend to concretely be involved in maintaining.  I should
>>> then upload once for the DMUA to take effect and after that we can both
>>> upload those packages.
>>
>> Okay. I mentioned sugar-toolkit in my original email, but I was really
>> referring to sugar-0.88
>
> ...and I responded generally for all "packages that you actively intend to
> concretely be involved in maintaining" within this team.
>
> ...and I mean not only you, but all team members.  Hope I make myself clear
> :-)

We are getting there.  I have asked the Seeta developers to download
.88.1 from downloads.sugarlabs.org and take a shot at packaging it for
Debian.  While not particularly experienced in either Debian or
Ubuntu, they have some sharp developers who learn quickly.

Activity Central has hired Luke as a summer intern to introduce them
them to Debian and Ubuntu:)

david