[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar-base

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jul 25 10:32:35 UTC 2011

Hi Julian,

On 11-07-25 at 11:41am, Julian Taylor wrote:
> thanks for applying the ipython patch so quickly.
>
> I was wondering why there are so many sugar-base versions in the
> archive?
> Are they all needed?

Thanks for asking, Julian!

I take the liberty to response via the Debian OLPC team.

Well, I guess we should kill off some of those branches.

Back when we started packaging Sugar it was uncertain which and how many
of the upstream branches would be sensible for our users.  Since then we
simply haven't gotten around to reflect more on it and cleanup.

Seems that the only non-HEAD branch of the Sugar project ever getting
serious maintainance care upstream have been 0.84.

The branch getting most attention in Debian is 0.88 - since then I
lowered my attention to it and evidently noone else have stepped up.

In my opinion we can drop the 0.86 branch right now, and as soon as the
0.92 branch have been packaged then drop the 0.90 and 0.88 branches too.

I honestly have little experience with dropping packages (it might be as
simple as filing a bugreport against ftpmaster).  If noone disagrees
with the above, then I welcome anyone to do the task of dropping 0.86
branch packages now.

There is a related task of looking into maybe using Breaks instead of
Conflicts, for a more smooth upgrade handling by APT tools.  Anyone
interested in looking at that are quote welcome to do so - but unless
feeling _very_ confident about changes, it is probably best to not hack
directly on git sources but first bring up here the planned changes for
a peer review.

Regards,

 - Jonas