[Debian-ports-devel] debian-ports archive moving

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Tue May 31 08:40:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 10:41:58PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 05/30/2016 10:17 PM, John David Anglin wrote:
> > I'm not sure.  My time is limited and I don't think I have time to research haskell binNMUs on
> > other architectures
>
> That's why my suggestion was to use the script that Michael has written. If we can make the
> binNMUs a tad bit less manual, we had one problem less to care about.

The script halves the manual work but does not completely remove it.

The procedure I use is:

Run ben to get a transition tracker for haskell which shows which
haskell source packages have uninstallable built binary packages.
Click through the transition tracker web page of the uninstallable
packages to check that they are in the "Built" state of the
wanna-build database.  If they are in built add them to the args
of my script and then run my script.  It dumps nmu commands if it
can find that the binary package is uninstallable due to a missing
package.

One needs to give the nmu command output a quick eye-over as it can
output an unnecessary nmu if the package is uninstallable due to
something other than the haskell world.  It also occasionly can
miss generating an nmu because it guesses the binary package name
from the source package name but gets it wrong for a few haskell
source packages that don't fit the usual naming scheme.  But it is
right over 95% of the time.

> > On hppa, I tend to trigger rebuilds without doing any research as to why
> > any given haskell package is missing.
>
> This is bad, really. Please don't do that.
>
> > Some people don't like the lack of info in the rebuild comment.
>
> And for a very good reason. The comments are necessary to understand what exactly
> happened. I mean, how exactly do you decide whether you trigger a binNMU if
> you actually haven't researched why the binNMU is necessary?

Indeed,if we are going to schedule binNMU's for each others ports then
a message is essential to know why others scheduled the binNMU.

> > I also worry that the timing of binNMUs will vary from one arch to another.

Particularly on ports where arches have substantially different
amounts of the repository built.

> > I'm sure the script will be very helpful.  Could it run as a cron job and email results?  That
> > would save considerable time.

The manual work to run the ben tracker first and check wanna-build
would probably defeat a cron job at present.

It would be nice, though, to have a fully automated method that could
run the whole process as nomeata's haskell script for the official
debian arches does.

I have included hppa in my analysis and attach a list of binNMUs
for hppa to start getting haskell packages installable.  Maybe
someone would like to schedule those.

I also added hppa to my ben tracker and I see that hppa has quite a
few packages that need rebuilding against libpng1.6 [1].  I see a
directory type chroot used in the build logs and presumably an old
version of libpng has been left hanging in the chroots from an earlier
build and this has defeated the already scheduled binNMUs against
libpng1.6.  I now use tar based chroots on the alpha buildds to avoid
this very problem.

Cheers
Michael.

[1] http://www2.phys.waikato.ac.nz/cree/transitions/libpng.html