[Debian-ports-devel] debian-ports archive moving

John David Anglin dave.anglin at bell.net
Mon May 30 22:20:29 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-30 4:41 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Some people don't like the lack of info in the rebuild comment.
> And for a very good reason. The comments are necessary to understand what exactly
> happened. I mean, how exactly do you decide whether you trigger a binNMU if
> you actually haven't researched why the binNMU is necessary?
>
> I mean, yes, for Haskell, the answer is the usually ABI change after some
> dependency was changed in a recent upload. However, exactly for these cases,
> my suggestion would be to use the script that Michael has written. So, instead
> of having to spend too little time on the Haskell binNMU to write a proper
> binNMU changelog, you will actually have to spend no time on it:).
I look at the reason a haskell package doesn't build using the buildd
status page.
When I see it depends on a package that has a missing dependency and it
is installed, then I
rebuild it.  This may trigger a need to rebuild other dependent
packages.  I don't see the details
of the change that caused the missing dependency with this technique
unless I take one more
step and check the status of the missing package.  There are very few
failed haskell builds on
hppa, so one is quite sure a rebuild is needed when there is a missing
dependency.

Without a program to analyze dependencies, it is hard to do much better
given the large number
of haskell packages and their rigid dependence on build versions.  I
just haven't seen any use
in recording the details of the ABI change, or other reason a package
may need rebuilding.

Hopefully, the script will improve this process and generate commands to
rebuild all packages
affected by any given ABI change.

Dave

John David Anglin  dave.anglin at bell.net