[Debian-ports-devel] Moving powerpc to Debian Ports

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Wed Nov 2 06:13:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-02 09:49, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 02:17 AM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >> Well, frankly, I'm not sure I'm very confident that this promise will
> >> be held up. Both ia64 and sparc were release architectures in Wheezy,
> >> dropped in Jessie and consequently removed both from the FTP servers
> >> and the buildd infrastructure despite being popular according to
> >> popcon.
> >
> > Nobody asked for ia64 and sparc to be kept, so they have just been
> > removed.
>
> Well, I don't remember the exact chronology, but I *did* ask a lot of
> people during DebConf15 to keep it, including you. My request was
> ignored back then as well.

That's plainly wrong. During Debconf 15, sparc was /already* removed
from ftp-master, so it was not possible to *keep* it.

What you asked was to create it back on debian-ports, and I explained
you it was probably a better idea to work on the existing sparc64 port
instead of rebootstrapping sparc.

The timeline:
- 2015-04-20: ftp-masters announce that sparc will be removed in the
  next 3 months unless someone opposes. Nobody did except a few "it's
  sad" emails. No-one step up to do the job.
- 2015-07-21: ftp-masters announce that sparc is going to be removed in
  the next days [2]
- 2015-07-27: ftp-masters announce that sparc has been removed from the
  official archive [3]

Aurelien

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2015/04/msg00001.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2015/07/msg00012.html