[Debian-ports-devel] Moving powerpc to Debian Ports

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 2 07:49:26 UTC 2016

On 11/02/2016 03:13 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> Well, I don't remember the exact chronology, but I *did* ask a lot of
>> people during DebConf15 to keep it, including you. My request was
>> ignored back then as well.
>
> That's plainly wrong. During Debconf 15, sparc was /already* removed
> from ftp-master, so it was not possible to *keep* it.
>
> What you asked was to create it back on debian-ports, and I explained
> you it was probably a better idea to work on the existing sparc64 port
> instead of rebootstrapping sparc.

That's why I said, I don't remember the exact chronology. I did not insist
that it happened that exact way. What I said is that we removed something
people were using. It would have been enough to look at Debian Popcon
to see that sparc is something people were/are using. Heck, there are still
around 70 counted installations for sparc despite not being updated anymore
for months.

You shouldn't expect users to be present on various Debian mailing lists
and you should not assume no one complaining on any of the lists means
that no one cares about a port being removed. What we should look at
first are popcon numbers and then we should start surveys or something
similar.

Anyway, it seems powerpc is safe for the time being. Since at least one
the buildds is located in IBM's POWER cloud and since Breno has already
offered to support us with additional cloud instances if required we
shouldn't have to worry much. I will continue fixing bugs on any ports
architecture when I spot them or whenever someone points me to them.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz