[Debian-ppc64-devel] powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 18 16:59:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:26:47PM +0100, Frank van Berkel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:30:50 +0200, Sven Luther wrote
>
> > Since the 2.6.12 powerpc kernel in the archive now support 64bit
> > kernels, thanks to the work of the toolchain guys with regard to
> > biarch on ppc, i have uploaded kernel .udebs and triggered new
> > reorganised daily builds of the sid debian-installer images.
> >
> > I was forced to disable the floppy builds for now, since they failed
> > to build, and the 2.6.12 kernels are 200K too big anyway for miboot
> > floppies, we need to find out how to make them smaller, and solve
> > the non-freeness of miboot for the etch release.
> >
> > Also, as said, the power3 and power4 flavours have gone, replaced
> > with a single powerpc64 one.
> >
> > Now, the 2.6.12 kernels are not yet in testing, so these images
> > cannot be used to install etch, only sid, which may be broken for
> > other reasons, and base-installer has been changed to know about the
> > new kernels, so neither etch is installable for now, nor is sarge.
> >
> > Anyway, please all enjoy, test and provide feedback for these new images.
>
> Will that d-i also work on an iSeries Linux LPAR Machine?
>
>      *-cpu
>           product: RS64-IV (sstar)

Mmm, no idea, when you compile your own kernel, do you use MULTIPLATEFOR:, or
ISERIES ? The latest is for pre-Power5 iSeries, so it sounds like this would
apply to yours, right ?

I have not yet built iseries flavoured kernels, but i only need to create an
initrd to make this happen, and then yes, it should work for you.

Would you test it for me if this was the case ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther