[Debian-ppc64-devel] Status of debian ppc64?

Andreas Jochens aj@andaco.de
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:43:05 +0100

On 05-Mar-06 22:25, Ramón Rey Vicente wrote:
> I´m a long time Debian user and recently I´ve bought an iMac G5 from
> Apple. I know the current Linux distros support for powerpc is becoming
> better and better lately and IBM machines (servers and workstations) and
> Apple ones are well supported (more or less). But most of distros are 32
> bits powerpc native systems, and currently the only two distros I know
> are working on 64 bits native systems are Gentoo/PPC64 and Debian-ppc64.
>
> Gentoo/PPC64 is apparently working well but I dont know what is the
> status of the Debian ppc64 port. What machines are currenty supported?

The Debian ppc64 port is very new. It works fine on my Apple
PowerMac G5. I heard that it also works on IBM machines.

> What is the status of the ppc64 package archive (number of packages
> ported)? Are currently available Debian ppc64 installation isos?

About 80% of the Debian packages have been ported and are available in
the ppc64 archive on alioth (http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/gcc4).

I could not get an X server working yet. The debian-installer has been
compiled, but there are no installation CDs yet.

> I will very happy to help debian-ppc64 port...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Andreas Jochens