[Debian-ppc64-devel] Call For Help - Please support the ppc64 architecture

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh@kernel.crashing.org
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:46:36 +1100

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 20:27 +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a call for help from the 'ppc64' porters.
>
> On 05-Mar-14 16:14, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > Also, as with the amd64 port, there is disagreement about the name.
> > While ppc64 would be nicer and in line with the LSB, our current
> > PowerPC port is called powerpc and therefore it would make more sense
> > to call the 64 bit port powerpc64.
>
> There has been a decision of the Debian Technical Committee concerning
> the name of the amd64 port which basically says that the porting team
> should decide on the architecture name generally (see [1]).
>
> The ppc64 porters decided to use the name 'ppc64' as the package
> name a few month ago.
>
> .../...

It's a fully 64 bits setup as it seems ? That is rather inefficient.

Have we any proper way of doing multiarch setups ? The "proper" way to
do ppc64 is to have both archs libs and 32 bits userland for most
things, as ppc64 native code is slightly slower.

I have repeated that over and over again but it seems I have been
ignored so far...

Also make sure the compiler is biarch as the kernel build will soon
require this.

Ben.