[Debian-ppc64-devel] Call For Help - Please support the ppc64 architecture

Andreas Jochens aj@andaco.de
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:59:20 +0100

On 05-Mar-17 09:46, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Have we any proper way of doing multiarch setups ? The "proper" way to
> do ppc64 is to have both archs libs and 32 bits userland for most
> things, as ppc64 native code is slightly slower.

Detailed measurements of 32 bit vs. 64 bit code for different
applications have yet to be made. One of the purposes of the native 64
bit approach is that such comparisons will become easily possible.
Without having native 64 bit libraries and binaries this would be just
guesswork.

> Also make sure the compiler is biarch as the kernel build will soon
> require this.

The compiler in the current ppc64 archive is fully biarch, i.e. it can
produce 64 bit and 32 bit binaries. There is also a 64 bit and a 32 bit
glibc version in the archive.

Regards
Andreas Jochens