[Debian-ppc64-devel] Call For Help - Please support the ppc64 architecture

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh@kernel.crashing.org
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:14:08 +1100

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 23:59 +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 05-Mar-17 09:46, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Have we any proper way of doing multiarch setups ? The "proper" way to
> > do ppc64 is to have both archs libs and 32 bits userland for most
> > things, as ppc64 native code is slightly slower.
>
> Detailed measurements of 32 bit vs. 64 bit code for different
> applications have yet to be made. One of the purposes of the native 64
> bit approach is that such comparisons will become easily possible.
> Without having native 64 bit libraries and binaries this would be just
> guesswork.

Note that it's not just guesswork. We've been there at IBM, though I
could install gentoo64 and redo a bunch of measurement one of these
days.

Ben.