[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: How to start installation on an IBM power5

Sven Luther sven.luther@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 25 May 2005 12:09:15 +0200

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:06:09PM +0200, Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:
> On May/25, David Gaya wrote:
>
> > > boot: Linux
> > > Please wait, loading kernel...
> > >    Elf32 kernel loaded...
> > Why is it booting an Elf32 ?
> > Shouldn't it be Elf64 ?
>
> 	Yes, it should, but that's the image that I downloaded from Cajus'
> mirror. Maybe the kernel-image-2.6.8 package that is there is compiled for
> ppc32, instead of ppc64?
>
> 	BTW, what are the differences between Cajus' mirror and the one for
> debian-ppc64? :-?

Neither of them ir really official. The debian-ppc64 project is just an
attempt to rebuild loads of packages in pure64 mode, despite the IBM linux
team claim that this will only bring a performance hit to not much avail,
while Cajus effort is i believe to provide a working ppc64 kernel and
debian-installer for those ppc64 machines. Cajus did merge back his changes
into d-i's svn repo, but the ppc64 guys work all by themselves.

Both of these efforts will be kind-of obsoleted once sarge is out (in one or
two weeks), and we move the main debian toolchain to support biarch, and build
the power3/power4 variants in ppc64 only, and there will be official support
for etch.

Friendly,

Sven Luther