[Debian-ppc64-devel] is this port alife?

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 4 13:07:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:54:10PM +0100, Harald Görl wrote:
> Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> >Actually i think it would be better to make the machine part of
> >the "alternative" buildd network (at http://buildd.net ). that is
>
> Hi Andreas.
> Yes, that is an option of course. We should discuss this with Bastian
> (and Sven) perhaps? Not sure how Bastian thinks about that.

I discussed this some with Bastian and Andreas on irc, basically the plan for
the 3 machines is to have one stable with various partitions where the
partitions are used for : developper access machine, buildd, administrative
tasks interesting Andreas, whatever. The second would be used as play ground,
and could be broken, right now Bastian is using this to work on the vscsi
thingy, i think. we could test kernels, partitons, d-i there, which could
break other stuff running on it. The third is the one you are using, which is
just fine right now.

I think only the first one really need to be fully under control of debian
folk.

> >regarding the services that could be put on those machines
> >besides the buildd and porter machine, how much bandwidth do we
> >have at our disposal? how is the site connected?
>
> Well, that is a simple question but there is not a really simple answer.
> The machines are using the Backbone network all German Universities are
> using. One connection from our University to the "outside" is 155MBit/s.
> Nothing is limited right now for the OpenPower subnet.

Ah, yeah, but how much of that bandwidth are we allowed to take over ? A full
buildd needs to download/uploads loads of packages, and there may be other
bandwidth using tasks Andreas has in ming.

> But the OpenPower are behind a 10/100MBit/s Ethernet switch, which could
> easily be changed to 1000MBit/s, but i don't think this is a problem
> right now... If it makes some sense for "intelligent applications" on
> these machines we can upgrade the connection.

putting a 1000MBit/s switch on a total outgoing 155MBit/s connection may be
overkill though :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther