[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Andreas Jochens aj at andaco.de
Tue Sep 20 22:51:53 UTC 2005

On 05-Sep-21 00:00, Sven Luther wrote:
> Patched ? Well, upto a point maybe, but most of the logic requires to rename
> the package in the control file and to add -m64 to the CC call.

Renaming? So you are going to create a separate source package for the
64-bit build? The alternative would be to copy the binary 'libxxx'
package description and add a new binary package 'lib64xxx' to
debian/control and to also duplicate the build and install targets
in debian/rules for the extra 64-bit build. The result will be ugly.

To basically duplicate everything with small differences here and there
is not really nice and certainly not easy to maintain. And for amd64
you would even have to add a third version 'lib32xxx' with the 32-bit
version for the native 64-bit port.

> Especially if nobody helps to make this happen.

You will not find many people who will help you with this. There is an
easier way to get 64-bit packages and the biarch patches will
introduce ugly duplications as stated above.

> Ok, so libssl and the xorg libraries. you don't believe in the easy ones, do
> you :) Maybe easier to start with libssl.
>
> > This is not some arbitrary request. I am talking about a real application
> > that is used for serious business purposes and that actually benefits from
> > a 64-bit environment.
>
> Cool, and if we get those two, it will be enough for you ? Or do you need
> others ? Maybe a ldd output of your app will help.

The complete list of libraries it links to is '-lX11 -lXpm -lz -lcrypt -lssl'.
If I can get those as 64-bit, I will be quite happy. Of course I also
like to have a full native 64-bit system and to avoid the ugliness of
a dual setup,  but I currently do not really need more than those
64-bit libraries for serious purposes.

Regards
Andreas Jochens