[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 20 23:02:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 12:51:53AM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 05-Sep-21 00:00, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Patched ? Well, upto a point maybe, but most of the logic requires to rename
> > the package in the control file and to add -m64 to the CC call.
>
> Renaming? So you are going to create a separate source package for the
> 64-bit build? The alternative would be to copy the binary 'libxxx'
> package description and add a new binary package 'lib64xxx' to
> debian/control and to also duplicate the build and install targets
> in debian/rules for the extra 64-bit build. The result will be ugly.

Both are possible indeed. The binary packages is the easier choice.

> To basically duplicate everything with small differences here and there
> is not really nice and certainly not easy to maintain. And for amd64
> you would even have to add a third version 'lib32xxx' with the 32-bit
> version for the native 64-bit port.

I don't really care about amd64 so much though, they should use the native
thing anyway.

> > Especially if nobody helps to make this happen.
>
> You will not find many people who will help you with this. There is an
> easier way to get 64-bit packages and the biarch patches will
> introduce ugly duplications as stated above.

Because you decided so, but then not everyone will be happy to suffer from the
consequent performance hit, so we will see.

> > Ok, so libssl and the xorg libraries. you don't believe in the easy ones, do
> > you :) Maybe easier to start with libssl.
> >
> > > This is not some arbitrary request. I am talking about a real application
> > > that is used for serious business purposes and that actually benefits from
> > > a 64-bit environment.
> >
> > Cool, and if we get those two, it will be enough for you ? Or do you need
> > others ? Maybe a ldd output of your app will help.
>
> The complete list of libraries it links to is '-lX11 -lXpm -lz -lcrypt -lssl'.

Please provide the ldd output, which is much easier to map to actual packages.

> If I can get those as 64-bit, I will be quite happy. Of course I also
> like to have a full native 64-bit system and to avoid the ugliness of

Bah. like said, there is a performance hit on this, or so the IBM folk are
saying.

Friendly,

Sven Luther