[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Andreas Jochens aj at andaco.de
Fri Sep 23 12:30:45 UTC 2005

On 05-Sep-23 14:08, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:01:59PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > Additionally, the Debian build utilities also have problems with
> > cross-building. One example is 'dh_shlibdeps' which does not work
> > properly for non-native architectures. Do you have a solution for
> > this other than using a 64 bit machine for compilation?
>
> not yet, but i believe there is no reason why this should not be fixed. When i
> first started on ppc64 stuff, neither glibc nor gcc could be build on ppc32,
> and it does now.

As far as I know, the biarch glibc still FTBFS on a 32 bit powerpc
because of the shlibdeps problem. Please look at BTS #317082 which
also occurs on powerpc.

> > It would of course be nice to solve these problems, but it does not
> > help to try to ignore them.
>
> Bah, if things are broken, they get fixed, not worked around.

You are talking about fixing problems in hundreds or thousands of
packages. Who will do all that work? And what do you gain with that
compared to the multiarch approach?

Regards
Andreas Jochens