[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 23 12:38:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:30:45PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 05-Sep-23 14:08, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:01:59PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > > Additionally, the Debian build utilities also have problems with
> > > cross-building. One example is 'dh_shlibdeps' which does not work
> > > properly for non-native architectures. Do you have a solution for
> > > this other than using a 64 bit machine for compilation?
> >
> > not yet, but i believe there is no reason why this should not be fixed. When i
> > first started on ppc64 stuff, neither glibc nor gcc could be build on ppc32,
> > and it does now.
>
> As far as I know, the biarch glibc still FTBFS on a 32 bit powerpc
> because of the shlibdeps problem. Please look at BTS #317082 which
> also occurs on powerpc.

Mmm, i think i would have noticed last time i built it, but then it was
probably when i was playing with the ubuntu stuff. Need to redo it later.
Anyway, debian doesn't have ppc64 autobuilder, so either glibc was built by
hand (and i think neither gotom nor doko has ppc64 hardware, not sure though),
or it did build indeed on ppc32.

> > > It would of course be nice to solve these problems, but it does not
> > > help to try to ignore them.
> >
> > Bah, if things are broken, they get fixed, not worked around.
>
> You are talking about fixing problems in hundreds or thousands of
> packages. Who will do all that work? And what do you gain with that
> compared to the multiarch approach?

it all depends if multiarch is a etch release goal or not. Current discussion
with the RMs tell me that multi arch is only a non-blocking etch release goal,
which means if it is not ready in time, then there will be no ppc64 support at
all, and no biarch fallback.

And i don't see you working on multi-arch either.

Friendly,

Sven Luther