[Debian-ppc64-devel] problems with debian ppc64 on openpower710

Harald Görl harald.goerl at rz.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Sep 29 14:46:22 UTC 2005

Matthew Cocker wrote:
> Hi

Hi Matthew, hi Sven.

> I am using the cd image from
> http://ftp.uni-augsburg.de/pub/tuxppc/test/Debian-Installer-CD/Debian-ppc64-boot.iso

This is old but working. But you need to menually create the 0x41 type
partition as you did AND!!! you have to install a correct 64-bit kernel,
as it seems you did not??? If you did, sorry for this post.

> boot:
>
> Please wait, loading kernel...
>     Elf32 kernel loaded

Well Elf32 Bit is NOT what you want!

> ramdisk loaded at 02100000, size: 1904 Kbytes
> instantiating rtas at 0060000 ...

> Anyone how to get a bootable system?

Try a kernel from Sven Luther. chroot to /target and wget and install it
as usual. Then you should boot into your new Debian on OpenPower.

> If I can get a working debian box I want to figure out if I can use
> softraid or a lvm for a debian system on ppc64. At the moment I have had
> to use suse 9 sp2 as the vio server on the openpower710s but I would
> like to use debian eventually (710 does not has hwraid option, knew we
> should have purchased the 720s).

VIO services are working "out of the box". We are using it here in
Augsburg. Feel free to ask...

Hope this helps,

Harald Goerl