[Debian-ppc64-devel] help: installing debian in a IBM pSeries power5 ppc64

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 02:26:27 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, Sven Luther <sven.luther at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:17:22PM -0300, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Which is the better way to install debian on this machine ?
>
>   If you have CD access, then you burn the following iso :
>

> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso
>
>   qnd boot with install64, and follow instructions, it should mostly work.

That was exactly the way that I've started this installation.
The problem that I had:
The installation broke when try to check the cd integrity. I've already
check the image that is ok. but seens that something is missing and the
anaconda can not access ... I'm away from this machine right now and I don't
remember exactly the message but I will paste then here when I get then
again.

> My first try was to download the debian ppc netinst and trying to install
> > for power4 and after this to upgrade to ppc64, but the netinst cd
> doesn't
> > even boot.
>
> Don't do this, there is no chance that the sarge d-i and his 32bit kernel
> will
> work on your box.
>
> BTW, can i ask what you need ppc64 for ? do you need >4GB of ram ? I guess
> this is the only reason to go ppc64, and even there, only choice apps will
> probably need it.

As a volunteer I'm the sysadm of a LPAR in a pSeries machinne. Each
volunteer will take care of a different distribution that IBM will provide
to other users do any personal projects in there. and I chose debian one.

> After this I've downloaded the debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso that has
> > install64 option but this iso was broken and the installation hadn't
> > finished.
>
> There is a known issue with the installer on ibm hardware, but it is
> possible
> to work around it. Can you tell me what the symptoms of the failure are,
> so i
> can help you more.

The symptom is a failure in cd read. but as I've said I'll put some other
information about this problem soon

> Can anyone help me with this installation ?
>
> Sure, provided you provide adequate information.

I'll provide.
Thanks a lot !

Friendly,