[Debian-ppc64-devel] help: installing debian in a IBM pSeries power5 ppc64

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 25 23:43:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 06:17:22PM -0300, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which is the better way to install debian on this machine ?

  If you have CD access, then you burn the following iso :

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

  qnd boot with install64, and follow instructions, it should mostly work.

> My first try was to download the debian ppc netinst and trying to install
> for power4 and after this to upgrade to ppc64, but the netinst cd doesn't
> even boot.

Don't do this, there is no chance that the sarge d-i and his 32bit kernel will
work on your box.

BTW, can i ask what you need ppc64 for ? do you need >4GB of ram ? I guess
this is the only reason to go ppc64, and even there, only choice apps will
probably need it.

> After this I've downloaded the debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso that has a
> install64 option but this iso was broken and the installation hadn't
> finished.

There is a known issue with the installer on ibm hardware, but it is possible
to work around it. Can you tell me what the symptoms of the failure are, so i
can help you more.

> Can anyone help me with this installation ?

Sure, provided you provide adequate information.

Friendly,

Sven Luther