[Debian-ppc64-devel] Etch on ppc64

Andreas Jochens aj at andaco.de
Fri Apr 13 10:15:04 UTC 2007

Hello,

thank you for your problem report.

> I am wondering about the state of etch on the ppc64 architecture.
> http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/ used to mention "An inofficial
> release of Debian 'etch' for ppc64 is planned. It will be available from
> the debian-ppc64 archive as soon as the official Debian 'etch' is released."
>
> Now that etch is out, that sentence has disapeared from the given URL ;)

Yes. Etch has been released and the ppc64 archive on alioth
has Etch as 'stable' available now.

It took a few days to change the ppc64 repository appropriately and to
upload the necessary archive changes to alioth.

> The "stable" repository at http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/ seems
> a bit "tainted" with testing packages (which is fine with me), but this
> seems to raise deep dependency problems.

There were some rough edges during the past few days when the
ppc64 archive was changed for etch but things should work now.

The ppc64 'stable' repository should now be consistent. There should
be no packages from 'testing' available in the 'stable' repository.

The ppc64 'testing' repository now has the packages from 'Lenny'.
However, I still have to check if the new archive setup for
'testing'/'Lenny' already works.

At this point it will probably work better to either use the 'stable'
or the 'unstable' version of the ppc64 archive.

> Very specifically for libgnutls-dev, I have :
> libgnutls-dev: Depends: libgcrypt11-dev (>= 1.2.2) but it is not going
> to be installed
>
> libgcrypt11-dev: Depends: libgpg-error-dev but it is not going to be
> installed
>
> libgpg-error-dev: Depends: libgpg-error0 (= 1.4-1) but 1.4-2 is to be
> installed
>
> Can anyone point me to either :
> - a repository more "consistant" than "deb
> http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org stable main"
> - or simply a method to solve my dependencies/consistency problems.

I cannot reproduce the above problem. I created a fresh ppc64 'stable'
chroot with debootstrap and installed the packages you mention inside
that chroot and everything went fine. Perhaps your problems were
temporary during the ppc64 archive changes for the Etch release.

> I have a side question : the build log
> (http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/buildd-logs/) mentions that
> nuauth-log-mysql build went fine on ppc64. Though the package is not
> available in the repository, while nuauth itself (built from the same
> sources package) is available. Why is that? Can anyone maybe push the
> other 2.0.16 packages into the repository, for the sake of consistency?

Both the stable and the unstable versions of nufw build fine on
ppc64 and both package versions should be available from the ppc64
archive on alioth now (1.0.23-1.3 from stable and 2.0.16-1 from
unstable).

> I am perfectly aware the etch version of ppc64 is inofficial, just
> trying to get things done nicely here :)

Thank your for trying the ppc64 archive.

Regards
Andreas Jochens