[Debian-ppc64-devel] G5 install tips

Chuck iMacG5 at disposeamail.com
Mon Nov 5 07:13:25 UTC 2007

> most people actually run a 64bit kernel
> with a 32bit userland and occasional 64bit
> apps using libc64... And
> that's probably what you should do too...

Assume I follow this advice.  So, back to my question.  Where can I find
a Debian install disk with a modern PPC64 kernel?  If none exists, what
is the next best thing to get started?

Look, I don't really care about whatever politics, I just want help!

Everyone has design advice but no says how to install.  The system is
Mac OS X and I need to get a Debian on board before I can try anything
with chroot etc.  It needs to dual-boot.

Is it true that I *must* run a 64-bit kernel regardless of userland, or
is that my own misconception?

> The G5 cpu will execute faster in 32bit mode than in 64bit most of the
> time for reasons that have been explained at great length elsewhere
> (and which also apply to other CPU families, btw)

I did not mention speed, just switch boundaries.  It's a subtle place
for bugs to hide.  But I don't really care!  I just want help with
Debian!  At this point I'll do anything!

> As far as I can tell, debian-ppc64 is pretty much dead at this point.
> The archive is in a pretty poor state, and it seems that nobody really
> cares.

My impression from wiki was that there was ongoing autobuilds of 64bit
userland but I guess that's wrong?  If so, would someone point me to the
right resources?  And please update the wiki to current status.

I am thinking maybe I should just use T2 linux instead - they build for
G5 in a solid multi-arch build process.  Would that be easier than
Debian, given the status?

Chuck