[Debian-ppc64-devel] G5 install tips

Thibaut VARENE varenet at debian.org
Mon Nov 5 09:20:58 UTC 2007

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/index.html

> Look, I don't really care about whatever politics, I just want help!
>
> Everyone has design advice but no says how to install.  The system is
> Mac OS X and I need to get a Debian on board before I can try anything
> with chroot etc.  It needs to dual-boot.
>
> Is it true that I *must* run a 64-bit kernel regardless of userland, or
> is that my own misconception?

Though it technically could run a 32bit kernel, the linux 32bit ppc
support doesn't allow that. You will indeed have to run a 64bit kernel
regardless of the userland.
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch02s01.html#id307192

> > The G5 cpu will execute faster in 32bit mode than in 64bit most of the
> > time for reasons that have been explained at great length elsewhere
> > (and which also apply to other CPU families, btw)
>
> I did not mention speed, just switch boundaries.  It's a subtle place
> for bugs to hide.  But I don't really care!  I just want help with
> Debian!  At this point I'll do anything!
>
> > As far as I can tell, debian-ppc64 is pretty much dead at this point.
> > The archive is in a pretty poor state, and it seems that nobody really
> > cares.
>
> My impression from wiki was that there was ongoing autobuilds of 64bit
> userland but I guess that's wrong?  If so, would someone point me to the
> right resources?  And please update the wiki to current status.
>
> I am thinking maybe I should just use T2 linux instead - they build for
> G5 in a solid multi-arch build process.  Would that be easier than
> Debian, given the status?

If you wanna go through the pain of building from scratch, might
indeed as well use Gentoo or whatever else.

My suggestion is that you start by reading the documentation. I've
installed my quad G5 with debian ppc installer just fine in a matter
of minutes. Installing debian ppc64 was quite another challenge, and
given the state of the port and the massive performance impact, I'm
clearly gonna switch back to plain old debian ppc.