[Debian-ppc64-devel] G5 install tips - autobuilder?

Sven Luther sven at powerlinux.fr
Thu Nov 8 08:06:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:47:13AM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:22:39AM +0100, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 2007 12:36 AM, Chuck <iMacG5 at disposeamail.com> wrote:
> > > A better answer would have been: "The doc is wrong so we're taking it
> > > down."  Fine about "regular" docs - good for them - take down the bad
> > > one.
> >
> > You don't get it. We (at least me) have no access to the main website.
> > Hence the comments about nobody caring to fix things.
>
> sorry for answering so late to this thread. I was travelling during the
> last few days.
>
> The autobuilder section of the ppc64 port page was indeed wrong.
> I just updated that page with a short explanation of the current
> situation.
>
> Basically, my only ppc64 machine is down because of problems with the
> hard disk. I will probably have to reinstall that machine from scratch
> using a new hard disk. The single autobuilder for the ppc64 port was
> running on that machine.

Notice that we proposed you an account on the augsbourg machine, even an
LPAR on it, with loads of disk space and memory, lot of bandwidth, and
this was over a year ago.

IBM gave three such machines to debian, one being used generically by
the augsbourg university, and two being used mostly by Bastian Blank for
whatever usage, among them cross building the kernel snapshot packages.

But it would be good to use them for a usage that they where originally
donated, especially now that Bastian has decided to kick me out of the
kernel team, and that debian's powerpc port is currently totally
unmaintained.

> It would be nice if somebody else with a ppc64 machine would volunteer
> to set up and run an autobuilder for ppc64.

Can you tell us what happened to the proposal to have an account on the
augsbourg machines, both for hosting the archive, and for building ?

> Any help to keep the ppc64 port up to date would be greatly appreciated.

Given the lack of entusiasm for replacing my no-more-wanted work on the
powerpc port, i have some doubt about this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther