[Debian-ppc64-devel] Openpower 710 Installation

Etienne Le Sueur etiennes at gelato.unsw.edu.au
Fri Apr 11 01:08:43 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I'm new to the ppc64 world, and have a couple of Openpower 710 eServers
available to me...

As I understand, these are quite complex and require experience to get
working. I'm asking if there's anyone who can get me jump started on the
process required to get something running on one of these machines...

I don't have an HMC attached, and I have no idea what is currently
running on them, or whether the hypervisor is installed.

I would love to fiddle around with the hypervisor and get multiple
instances of debian running in parallel, but I understand if this is
going to be like drowning in the deep end.

Can anyone suggest a place to start, or tell me what I can and cannot do
without an HMC. Can I emulate an HMC using another machine?

All I have been able to do as of now is get into the ASMI using serial
and the web interface, and as I now understand, there is not much
configuration I can do from that with regard to the partitioning etc...

Even if I can only get debian running on the bare metal, that would be a
good start!

--
Regards,
Etienne Le Sueur