[Debian-ppc64-devel] Openpower 710 Installation

"Nölle, Christian" Noelle at wiwi.uni-wuppertal.de
Mon Apr 14 09:22:07 UTC 2008

Etienne Le Sueur wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a place to start, or tell me what I can and cannot
> do without an HMC. Can I emulate an HMC using another machine?

No, you can't emulate a HMC, as this is a x86-Machine with a Linux
modified by IBM.

> All I have been able to do as of now is get into the ASMI using serial
> and the web interface, and as I now understand, there is not much
> configuration I can do from that with regard to the partitioning
> etc...

As this is a question of getting a VIO-Server running on that machine to handle
the other virtual machines and of having a machine that is registered to run
virtual machines, that question is not easy to answer :).

> Even if I can only get debian running on the bare metal, that would
> be a good start!

That should work. You can try Ubuntu as well, running fine on OP 720.

Greetings!

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß

Christian Nölle