[Debian-ppc64-devel] I am planning to restart ppc64 ports project.

Hiroyuki Yamamoto yama1066 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 10:34:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

Hector Oron wrote:
>> I also think that it's worth considering to set "-maltivec -mabi=altivec"
>> at CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in buildflags.conf of the ppc64 auto-buildd machine.
>>
>> If it sets so, these ppc64 packages will not support POWER4 and POWER5 CPUs.
>>
>> However, I think that it is a very interesting proposal under the present situation
>> giving up the pcc64 former port because the performance did not go up,
>> and making the powerpc port to biarch.
>
> Would powerpcspe port make some sense to you?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPCSPEPort
> http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/

Yes.
The powerpcspe port is similar to this idea for the ppc64 port
in the point to narrow down the targets though directionality is different.

The powerpcspe port is for MPC85xxs, which are often used on embedded systems,
while the ppc64 port would be for POWER7, POWER6, Cell, Xenon, and PowerPC 970.

However, I may be at present negative with hesitation to the addition of option "-mvmx128"
that may be also added to gcc for VMX-128 in the near future,
because POWER7 and POWER6 machines don't exist so many by these expensiveness,
and because Cell and Xenon machines exist chiefly to our regret as game machines at present.

The opinions are very welcome.

Regards,
--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto
A75D B285 7050 4BF9 AEDA  91AC 3A10 59C6 5203 04DC