[Debian-ppc64-devel] I am planning to restart ppc64 ports project.

Thibaut VARENE varenet at debian.org
Mon Oct 4 11:50:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Hiroyuki Yamamoto <yama1066 at gmail.com> wrote:

> and because Cell and Xenon machines exist chiefly to our regret as game machines at present.

Cell blades are being marketed by IBM (for instance the QS2x series.
I'm sitting on one of those ;P). Again, 64-bit code performs 15 to 25%
slower on ppc processors than the equivalent 32-bit code. 64-bit code
on power processors has very limited usefulness, only for some very
specific workloads. At the very least, a complete 64-bit distribution
would only provide a huge penalty loss.

Here are some pointers if you care:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3098&p=11887#p11892

powerpcspe probably makes more sense.