[Debian-ppc64-devel] I am planning to restart ppc64 ports project.

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:11:48 UTC 2010

Hello,

2010/10/4 Thibaut VARENE <varenet at debian.org>:
> Here are some pointers if you care:
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3098&p=11887#p11892

Indeed, this seems to be true for all 64 bit machines, but x86_64
where extra registers were designed to help improve speed up, but
quite painful. I do wonder why don't we all run 32-bit userlands
(sparc is a case where upstream is going 64-bit only) which improve
our instruction cache performance and provide optimized libraries for
the particular cases without having to bootstrap yet another port.

Would it make sense to you to work on multiarch[1] approach for
providing 64-bit libraries when those are needed (in PPC64 particular
case?)

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Spec

Best regards,
--