[x86-64] AMD Dev Center usage proposal - draft 3

Bart Trojanowski bart@jukie.net
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:15:10 -0400

--VnCKLxguT6BBzdXa

* Peter <pk@q-leap.com> [030530 08:16]:
> Bart Trojanowski writes:
>  > * Peter <pk@q-leap.com> [030530 04:40]:
>  > >  > 1.1  starting point (what we will require to start)
>  > >  >   - dual boot system running SuSE 64-bit and Debian/Sid 32-bit
>  > >  >   - serial console access from another box/terminal server/etc.
>  > >=20
>  > > does the BIOS messages appear hear?  I mean is the system configured
>  > > to redirect output to this serial console?  maybe we should just che=
ck
>  > > that it is.
>  >=20
>  > Are you suggesting that we make this a requirement?
>=20
> Well yes,
> 1. do we have an idea of how the BIOS Settings should be?
>    having access through the serial console would us enable to modify
>    them and

That would be ok, but I figure AMD -- who is setting the box up for us
-- would know better then us what to put in there. :)

> 2. we can follow the boot process

I agree that we need this if we have kernel problems.  I don't think
there will be many of these.  There are dozens linux developers running
on this hardware... and have been doing so for at least a year.  Unless
we are doing something very wrong I would expect us not to have issues.

>  > What if it doesn't?
>=20
> ok, then we rely on AMD that the settings are correct, which sounds
> very likely.  But if we can get serial access anyway it shouldn't be
> too hard to enable serial redirection for the POST.

I agree.

B.

--=20
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/