[xml/sgml] xml-core? and web page stuff

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:26:29 -0500

On Friday, November 7, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:

> I prefer to have a clear seperation between the Makefile that comes with the
> upstream source and the debian/rules file.  The former deals with building
> and installing, while the latter only deals with creating the package.  I've
> taken over package without a Makefile where everything was done in the rules
> file.  After the split into Makefile and rules file maintaining the package
> became a breeze.

Fortunately for XML/SGML resources (as opposed to more complex stuff
like libxslt, and the stuff that Ardo maintains), there is no need for
an external Makefile. It's simply a matter of editing and moving
files, and registering the resources.

In the above case, having a minimal rules file and a number of
debhelper input files is much more maintainable.

And so my inadequacies are exposed: I'm really more of a project
manager-type than I am a programmer. Makes it hard to find a jobs
sometimes:)

Cheers,
Mark